Re: Swamp, zombie fps by Aprone

Development on the new game is coming along nicely.  It will be a while before it is ready, but each day I've been able to put in a few hours of coding.  Exploration will be a really cool part of the game, and I'll mention this part because I can relate it to Swamp, sort of.  Map 1 in Swamp is 425 by 275 tiles, making it a total area of 116875 tiles in size.  Now of course not all of those tiles are "usable" tiles, meaning you as a player cannot actually use that space.  Some of them are in the deep parts of Brush creek, some of the tiles are solid pieces of building in the abandoned buildings, and I think the Kai mart and the Factory both have some small areas that are blocked in.  So out of those 116875 total tiles, the vast majority are usable.  To explore map 1 and walk around in every spot would take a very long time.  I wish I knew how long it takes to walk from the western border to the eastern border in a straight line, LOL!  Maybe someone will be kind enough to time it and share what they come up with.

I bring this up because the new game has a much larger "world" to explore.  Unless I have to shrink it for some unforeseen technical reason, the map will be a total of 50 billion tiles in size.  That is more than 427800 times larger than map 1 of Swamp.  To cross from one side of this map to the other, it would be more than running 235 times back and forth on Swamp's map 1.  Now not all of these tiles will be "usable", but just like in Swamp, most will be.  I'm very excited by the idea of giving this huge persistent world to the community to play in.  Everyone will have to wait to hear more details though.  smile