Re: The Shannara Series by Terry Brooks

@bladestorm360: Sort of, I guess.  Though it isn't really furry.  I'd think his short story _In The Barn_, from the science fiction anthology _Dangerous Visions_, would come much closer to being an inspiration for FS.  If you haven't read it, the story involves human women who are kept in barns and used for milk, and I think I remember something about how they have their thumbs cut off as babies to prevent them developing manual dexterity and thus intelligence.  Again, though, it's been a long time.  I remember it being horrifyingly creepy and uncomfortable.