Re: Odd Computer Issue

If you're on Windows, have you tried looking at the task manager? For a while, I was in the habit of checking it frequently, and googling some of the processes might help hunt down malicious ones.

An unorthodoxed, not-necessarily-helpful idea: Search for phrases that appear in that message, either online or on your computer. (If the latter, be sure that it's a thorough search, including system directories and such.) This might give you more useful information, like what program(s) are responsible/infected.

I'm trying to remember if this is what I did the first time I got hit with adware. I hadn't ever poked around in system files before and wound up deleting the registry before it was all said and done, but luckily, it was a pretty weak system whose servers apparently went offline between 2005 and 2008, so I was eventually able to pick off the pieces.
This won't necessarily be as easy with more invasive stuff, but it might be somewhere to look if you can't find anything else. (Shutting down the internet to prevent it from downloading protective stuff while you attack it might help, too.)