Re: Latency issue when monitoring in reaper

Hi,
Does the latency you get make everything sound like sort of a short slapback echo? If so, then you are probably running into limitations of generic audio drivers as you suspect. Here's my personal experience:
Direct Sound, worst delay. I can only get it down to around 100 MS audible delay with monitor before it starts breaking. Wave Out is better, can go down to around 60. Wsapi is about the same.
When I used Asio4All I think I could get it down to around 40, it was a little less than Wsapi but there was still a noticeable lag. The big disadvantage of using Asio4All is that if you're like me and have everything going through one sound card, you will be sacrificing speech, since Asio4All takes over its output devices so they can't be used by stock drivers like Wave Out. Unless you found a way to avoid that, but that's the major problem I had with it. If you're going to use it, be sure to set a sound device that's not being used for s ystem audio as your output in Asio4All's control panel. Asio4All is, unless I am mistaken, your only option if you're like me and using a plug-n-play USB mic, but other than that I'd not recommend it as its performance is not always predictable.

What I would recommend is one of two things: A, get a USB Sound card AKA audio interface, I've been told the Focusrite Scarlett ones are good and have Asio support, or B, if you have a midi device, look into its USB driver. The most obvious reason for using these drivers would be midi or other data transfer, but if you're lucky, they will also allow you to use it as a sound card which will almost certainly imply Asio support. I know from experience the Yamaha Mo and Motif keyboards can serve as Asio devices, as well as the Roland FA,, and they all perform adequately. Using them, I was able to get the lag down to around 10 MS which at that point is almost imperceptible. The catch, though, is that if you're doing that, you're stuck with the in/out options of your device, which in most cases aren't much since it's a synthesizer by trade. You're also not going to get crazy 24/96 options either, most likely, and if you do, you won't have much use for them in that context. So it's not the most professional option by some people's standards, but there really is no problem doing it that way if it's most convenient. For the intended purpose, of working with soft synths, they work well. If you're doing more than that, you'd need an audio interface. Just be sure you know if it has Asio support. Sometimes they don't tell you outright because Asio support is implied, but if I were you I'd do research and look at specs and also reviews before getting one. As I've said I've heard the Focusrite Scarlett ones are popular. If you do get one, or have any other questions, let us know. I am pretty much in the same boat, looking to upgr ade my setup, but in my case I'm too lazy/scared to do it because it'll mean basically relearning and resetting up everything and hoping that I can make everything work in a similar way as it did before. Ah well, it'll happen one day I suppose... Lol

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : the blasting gd via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : raygrote via Audiogames-reflector