Re: Discussion about Blind Accessibility - the next steps?

Determining multiple different areas shouldn't be too hard, having a multi channel approach is the best route. Having the ability to either read through each channel individually or at once would be beneficial too.

Meijer would work best as a sort of on the fly immediate mapping of the surroundings, I think. Raycasting would be more applicable to more games so I think it would be more of a fundamental component.

The button issue on consoles is challenging. Most options don't need to be changed dynamically and could be mapped to an accessibility option menu. On the fly combinations would have to be reserved for the most vital functions and could probably be done by pressing an initial button combination as an "accessibility input toggle", then press the button for the function. Depending on the game's focus it can implement that function, whether it's an option or information menu.

I think in such an API we should have a set of option s, all of which provide some sense of accessibility. The first two that would be easiest to implement in a 3D title would be accessible environment sounds and menu accessibility. Just these two alone would add a lot more accessibility to current titles and would most likely be a cinch to implement.

More advanced options such as raycasting, collision proximity noises, Meijer's algorithm and other tricks would require more work to implement from the developer's point of view due to the lack of "on rails" implementation of these things. Probably what would be best would be to build some sort of tool that allows the easy testing of these components for the developer. For example, with raycasting, it might be useful to have tool that has a custom collision map for the raycasting, which may compensate for clipping mistranslations. Meijer's could be a configuration tester, ect. I'm just thinking of ideas on the top of my head.

Regarding braille cel ls - I think it might be possible to use an electromagnetic component to compensate for most of the motor elements. There would need to be some sort of locking mechanism so it would require some directly mechanical components, but that might be a cheaper alternative.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector