Re: Any Red Dwarf fans out there?

@Dark That reminds me, I'd really like to check out that review. I never normally read book reviews but I suppose I could give it a try with this one.
That does sort of disappoint me that there are no Confidence and Paranoia since I found those two quite funny.
On another note, there are some character points I would like to bring up that I've noticed.
Firstly, Rimmer, because he is the one I have the most speculations about. Am I the only one who feels quite bad for him? I mean sure, he portrays himself as a self centered, unpleasant, cowardly uncaring smeghead, but that's only most of the time. Though you'll remember that in "The End", it was his reaction when Cat showed up to get in front of Lister and attack. I don't know if this was him attempting to protect his friend, or if he was just trying to show power, but I believe it was the former. There are other scenes where Rimmer shows genuine care and concern for Lister especial ly, like in the Confidence and Paranoia episode. If you ask me, it almost seems like Rimmer could have indeed ended up being a caring and all around good person to hang out with, had it not been for the bullying of his childhood and his parents' lack of concern for him (one example of which could be found in a scene where Rimmer is hanging upside down from a tree and all his mother can talk to him about is how he's failing in school, and how that will dampen his chances of making it into the Space Cor.). To sum it up, it is quite apparent to me that Rimmer's inner conflict is that all he's ever wanted is to be truly loved, and to know people care about him.
And then, there is Lister. Him, I like a lot, and can generally get as a person without much thought. If I'm not wrong, he's a sensitive, down to earth, confident, witty individual, but with major I don't know if you'd classify them as social? Issues. I think what makes Lister that way is that he knows the disgusting things he does for what they are, and he knows how nasty others think his habits are, but he does not care. Instead, he accepts himself, and to heck with what others think about him, he's Lister after all, and he's not hurting anyone. While he comes across a lot of times as cocky and uncaring, as I said earlier he is quite sensitive, and he shows this more than Rimmer. One example was him giving up 18 months of wages on the trip just so he could save his cat.

Well alright, I realized how long this post was getting, and that it's probably getting tiresome reading. So I'll stop here for now, I'll save the rest for later if anyone is interested.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : dd via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : danny via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : djrockmasterrob via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Sightless Kombat via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : The Dwarfer via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : The Dwarfer via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : The Dwarfer via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : OlgaAmbupe via Audiogames-reflector