Re: Is it worth it to develop games on BGT?

In a nutshell, no.

First and foremost is that BGT is a dead product. Blastbay Studios no longer supports or does any development work on it to correct bugs or other problems.

And secondly, unless you write your game to be completely self voicing or use SAPI such that it doesn't need a screen reader to be accessible, or you can figure out how to program around it, you'd lose most, if not all, JAWS users from being able to play your game because of the keyboard hooking conflict that exists between BGT and JAWS. JAWS users could still run your game, but they have to do it by temporarily switching to another screen reader while playing your game. And some of them simply won't bother, they'll just find some other game that doesn't have the conflict with JAWS and avoid the hassle altogether.

I myself am using Pure Basic to write a couple of games as a hobby. While it does mean that I have to learn and do more work to get the game working, I bel ieve that the knowledge I'm gaining will be well worth the extra work.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ashleygrobler04 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Orko via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : roelvdwal via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Amit via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Hijacker via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : roelvdwal via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : jack via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Rastislav Kiss via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Hrvoje via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : jonikster via Audiogames-reflector