Ordering Up Some Voicework Volunteers!

Aprone is working on a restaurant management game, wherein you're in charge of operating a restaurant and generating customer satisfaction and, of course, profit. If you'd like to contribute your voice as either a customer or door greeter, I'd highly appreciate your time and effort.

It goes without saying that I do hope you can manage a quiet recording environment. Microphone quality isn't going to be paramount, but please, no recordings on walkie-talkies or 33-rpm records. Also, do your best not to clip or distort the recording. Listen to your material before submitting. It should sound acceptable to you before you send it to me.

As with Swamp, I'd like to request that you leave me about 10 seconds or so of silence, where your microphone is active, but you're doing your best to be quiet. I'll be using the data from this area to perform noise reduction.

It goes without saying that if you're a greeter, you can't also be a customer, and vice versa. That being said, if you've the inclination, feel free to record both characterizations, and I'll pick the one I prefer. We need a lot more customers than greeters, though, so please, ere on the side of capitalism. Since greeters do have significantly fewer lines than customers, though, I would like to ask greeters for more variations.

Aprone wants to keep all lines as generic as possible, so that players aren't bound to any establishment titles, so please bear this in mind when you're recording. Don't say things like "Welcome to Apple Wasp's".

The lines that I'll need for greeters are:

  • A general greeting to the restaurant, such as: "Hello and welcome! Please let me show you to your table.", "Good to see you! May I please show you to a table?", and so on.

  • A line for departing customers, such as: "Thank you for coming. We hope you've en joyed our service.", "Hope you enjoyed your meal. Goodbye.", "I hope you enjoyed yourself. Please come again.", etc.

The lines that I'll need for customers are going to have to be pretty generic. You're ordering food, but we don't want to consign any food types to audio, as that would require me asking you guys to record again for every little addition!

Customers have an additional requirement, in that you'll need to record your satisfaction level in each of the lines, one for good service (where you might say "Excuse me, Waiter" in a cheery tone), one for mediocre service (something like "Check please" in a normal conversational tone), and one for unsatisfactory service (such as "Can I please have the check?" in a displeased, grumbling, or even angry tone).

Lines are as follows:

  • A line to flag the waiter for service, such as: "Waiter!", "Excuse m e, waiter.", "Can I get some service please?", etc.

  • A line stating your order, such as: "I'd like to order this, please.", "Yes, I'd like to have that please.", "Well, this looks pretty good. I'll have it.", and so on.

  • A line stating that you are done with your meal and are ready to pay: "Check please.", "I'm done, can I have the check please?", "Waiter, can I please have the bill?", and so on.

  • A few lines of random chatter, as though you're in conversation with someone, or commenting on something. These will be used for randomization of customers. Example "I'm sure we can do that this weekend.", "How's your family nowadays?", "Are you still with the game guy/girl?", and so on. Really, these lines can be almost anything, just don't be too outlandish. They also don't have to follow the mood r ule.

I leave personalities and everything up to you, but please, don't go too berserk. I promise I'm not going to be as draconian as I was for Swamp voices, but there are limits! Remember, though, that I do want 3 auditions for each line, and in the case of customers, each line / mood. This is so I can pick the best one, and thereby represent your submission in the most positive manner.

I'm looking forward to hearing any submissions that come my way, and I'll thank you in advance for your time, effort, and vocal contribution. If you would like to be credited, please say so in the email you send me. If I don't see a line referring to credits, I'm not going to be putting it in.

Last time I set a specific end date, people tended to wait till the last minute to post recordings. This time around, I'm just going to leave it open ended, with a rough guideline of about 3 weeks to a month. After that, if you send in a submission and I've stopped accepting submissions, that'll just be how the cookie crumbles. Conversely, if you send something in and I deem it good enough, I may add you in anyway, but definitely with lower priority.

Send all submissions to this email address. If it's a small file, send it as a direct attachment. If it's a big file, please send it as a Google Drive, Sendspace, Dropbox, or some other form of link

Have fun with it!

Kai