Re: Android Advice

Hello,
I agree on what Griff said, nearly 100%.
Android may be a really good operating system, it's free, open source, it's highly customisable and you can pretty much change anything you like on it if you know how to, but when it comes to accessibility, Android really sucks. I started with an Android device (Samsung Galaxy S3), and it came to a point where the only things I could effectively take advantage of were music, calling, and listening to radio, as well as file transfer. Now, the phone offers quite a lot, you can browse the internet, you can use and chat on social forums like Facebook, WhatsApp, Viber, Instagram, but how can you do it when the gestures take one to three seconds to respond? How can you chat on MSN when the keyboard is so sluggish and it takes two seconds to type a letter? How can you effectively chat with your friends when there is no Braille keyboard? On iOS, I can use the Braille Screen input and I can match the typing speed of my fr iends, and sometimes I can reply faster than them. I could buy a braille keyboard, but none offered me what I wanted. On Android you have to install pretty much everything to replace some and most of the components of your device. You have to install an application which let's you answer the call easily, then you have to install a call manager which provides also a keypad to accessibly type the phone numbers. Next you need to install another keyboard, because the current one, either won't be accessible by any means or you can't simply use it even if talkback manages to read the keys on screen. Next, to make your android device you have to install a new homescreen which makes your phone more original, and after all more accessible on that area. You may need to work with e-mails, but the currently installed one won't display the emails correctly, won't be accessible in certain areas, or you cannot read the letters you type on the edit fields of subjects or bod y message, so you go ahead and find another. Finally, the Google play music won't correctly display the buttons on the screen for you as a visually impaired user, and again, you need to step up and find another music player. Funnily enough,  you have to pretty much set up your phone from scratch. Sorry but I won't accept the offer. What about people who cannot do these things on their own? How will they get to make their phone usable? And even if they can manage to do what I wrote some lines above, why should they do it? Installing ten or more applications solely to make your device more accessible does not do anything except for overcharging your phone with apps and services that take up a lot of RAM, processor speed and consequently more battery power. Nothing else that does, but only ruins your device's performance.
Then there's that list that Griffendore mentioned, also known as the list of the Wisdom, the list of the bright, the list of the true, t he list of the faithful, and other similar stereotypes; a group of people who can be defined as