Re: nostalgia: all the things I miss very deeply and will continue to miss

Well interesting reply nocturnus.
I also have a casette deck and a digital radio.
My now dead grandpa left me his old 1970s analog shortwave radio.
Its needs a good service but it does work.
There is not probably much in the way of shortwave out there now days.
I tried my darndest to buy an accessible shortwave unit but failed big time.
One thing I do miss is dos, now I do have dos but no synths to run dos though I have all the old keynote software here.
Dosbox works but I have never got com0com working on my 64 bit box and I havn't messed with the emulator for a while.
One thing I miss a lot is the pre spam is bad error.
That was from 1995 when we first got the net to 2001/2002.
In this era there was the first free drive system xdrive and that had a lot of free stuff that came with it.
You also had the free net era which didn't last to long.
I remember listening to music, downloading some stuff and being told t o subscribe or run something to play it.
I did and got subscribed to a newsletter with a lot of music reviews and things in it.
One day I got a popup saying I needed to enter all my address information to get a free cd.
I did this and got a free cd of weird stuff which I still have.
What I miss is that your average junk mail was the same as well junk mail.
It was probably lagit and probably by a big company somewhere.
In most cases it was harmless there were even money making programs and the like.
And before 2001 you could bet your dollar that at worst you would end up with something being delivered to your house.
Sadly after or shortly after the blogging revolution in 2002-2004 things started changing.
My first incling was that my security suite, norton at the time started to become more aggressive.
After that, cloud networks came up.
We also got news of the first actual spam/scam attack.
Things have gotten worse from the re.
I stayed on my joke and family chat lists, mp3 lists book lists till about 2010 at which point there was so much with piracy laws and the fact of malware, fishing and ransomware most of which we never thought about at the start that I pulled out of most of it.
It was about the time I quit third party security after some of it trashed the network.
Another thing I really miss are the netguide cds and computer cds that came with magazines as well as how games were structured.
At the start, your average game maker put his sounds in plainview in a folder on the disk and audio tracks on the disk so pulling these were no issue.
Later on they used things like crf, and pk3 which were basically zip files with different extentions.
Then I had to use dragon unpacker to get a few things.
Now days if you want free sounds from your games its impossible to do that.
Technically you can extract steam files but its not like you would necessarily want to if a ll you want are sounds and music.
Then there is the fact that while you can usually get into the files most are in cabs now or their own format but even if you could get in there there are a lot of encripted hex files.
I also think that with the new tech and ways to solve issues we have lost respect for our machines.
In the old days if you had an issue you may try to solve it now days you have almost no chance if its deep enough.
I have people that say if something breaks, you start your recovery drive and it fixes it.
Its just a reformat.
Sadly if its not a checkbox or something fixable in a short time thats what I usually end up doing to.
Technology as a whole is more stable.
I have for example kept computers running for 6 years without a reformat.
In fact I had to reformat last year because my system had become to broken for me to ignore.
Sadly there were oses that I had to reformat more than others.
The worst culprit was sad ly windows xp, which unless you cleared run history with tweakui, it would  end up not working right and till I realised this I had to reformat constantly.
Win98 was a stable os, se was anyway bar norton which had issues.
win95 had its moments.
And you never had to with dos unless you screwed something up big time and in 6.22 you could bypass the config files so.
And while I had a memmory manager and extra programs, I really miss the fact that if I needed to really get to bios and the like with my old toshiba that I could just load the kernal and basically that was it and well run without configs.
You can't run windows without services, or things like that.