Re: Why I am 100 percent against schools for the blind

One thing a guide dog mobility instructor once told me was that independence did not mean not asking for help, it meant knowing who, when, how and in what way to ask for help.

to take a  case in point, if I order something from a cafe on my own, I will always! ask  to help carry hot items to my seat because I do not want to risk dousing my dog in scolding hot coffee.

On the other hand, when the Rnib's answer to the problem of using a cash machine was "get your carer to do it" I  pretty appalled.

Unfortunately, the latter type of attitude, in which basically a blind person is always assumed to be with a sighted person getting constant assistance and  it isn't necessary to learn much is one I've seen advocated by special schools over here.