Re: Why I am 100 percent against schools for the blind

I think that in today's world where the teachers think they're on top of everything, parents really need to advocate for their kids. Teachers are there to give suggestions, not hand down rulings as to how things need to be done. That being said, I was never at a blind school, though I was in classes in a school staffed by our intermediate unit. All through fifth grade, which was twice for me because I wasn't ready to go to middle school. At that time, i was pissed, but now I agreed that it was the right decision to hold me back. After that, I went on to middle school and from there through college, I was in mainstream classes.

I don't have experience though, but what I can say is that if they're fostering dependance, that isn't the root to take. It is also not only possible, but practical for parents to do their own teaching, but I guess everyone isn't as able to do that as some. For one thing, my dad was great at it. I got sick of living with my mother after their divorce, so I moved in with my dad, he had to get up early for work and stuff like that, so I had to get myself up, get showered and dressed and out to the bus for school. How many parents these days have to drag their kids out of bed? A lot. he also taught me how to cook, and do laundry, which I did from then on. He usually made supper, but weekends and days I had off school, I got my own food. When I was in college, I knew how to do laundry already, which a lot of the people I knew up there didn't know how to do, and those were sighted individuals as well.

I am also firmly against boarding schools, I see no reason, none whatsoever, except for extreme laziness, that you would ever send a child off to one of those places. When you're a kid, you're supposed to be with your family, that means coming home every night after school. So unless the child expressed an interest in it, I can't see a viable reason for forcing them to go to the boarding schools except to get them out from under foot. I see that as bad parenting. Sorry, but if you stick it in, be prepared to stick it out, meaning that being a parent is a great sacrifice, if you're not ready to see it through, don't be screwing around, or use a damn bag, or make sure she on the pill or something. Wrap that rascal! 18 years of raising a kid ain't worth that little bit of pleasure unless you wanted a kid in the first place.

Also, I don't like that they think they can run every aspect of your life. I was in a camp thing for preparing for college, my oVR counselor lied to my parents at the time, and my parents forced me to go, waste of four days let me tell you. I was the only visually impaired person in the place. It was for people with learning disabilities, teaching you study techniques and stuff like that, all of which I either was already doing, or already found not to be effective for me or something like that. The dude bitched me out for buying a soda from the soda machine downstairs in the hotel lobby, saying I wasn't allowed to do that, wait wait wait.. not allowed? I was 18 at the time and it was my own money my dad gave me for that. He said if I wanted a soda, I had to come to their hospitality room and get some from there, I said fuck you buedy, I do what I want. He also tried to stop us from renting a movie, which we did anyway, because both me and my roommate were over 18, so yeah, the fact that it was a R rated movie, I mean I could understand it, a lot of the people there were still 17 and so forth, but you can't get in my face, I'm a legal adult, and if I want a movie and a damn soda, be grateful I'm not snorting lines of blow in the bathroom with a 65 year old woman who has bags under her eyes, and flaps of fat everywhere. They took us to the college, and explained the process if it was in consideration if we wanted to enroll there, or send in an app, the rules they had were completely and utterly ridiculous. Like the college was all for adults, and they had these rules that treated them like children, like you had to get at least one of your meals a day in the cafeteria, you had to be in by I think 11, etc. Like bitch, I told you already, I do, what the fuck, I... wawn! If I gotta pay bills and be responsible for my own self and shit like that, you damn right I get to do whatever I want. I also fell off the damn bed and slammed my head into the corner of the nighttable and had to get four staples in it while I was there, so yeah, not a great time.

So, blind schools, yeah, not in favor. If they had like programs you could enroll in that were strictly for learning about technology, and learning how to do things, which I'm sure there are, I just never needed it. But, if there are those things, and they actually treat you like you're an adult with full mental faculties in place, then that would be alright.