Iphone 8 home button trouble?

Hi.

I've just got a new Iphone 8 and am having major problems with the home button.
Mostly when I press it it makes a woosh sound and changes the display and doesn't do anything else, no ap switcher, no vo controls, no back to home screen.
Oddly enough holding it for siri actually works,a nd supposedly my touch id is set, though I'm not sure.

I have messed around with the home button option in settings, setting for one two or three clicks, but whatever I set that to it doesn't make a difference, mostly I just get this woosh woosh thing which I think is the change of zoom or something.

It just seems buggy to me.
Is there a setting that I am missing or something? Or is there a way to use the lock screen button instead of the home button if they are so crap on the new moddle Iphones?

Quite disappointed in this one really.