Re: Is the HomePod really worth it?

I just invested a a bunch of money into a Sonos systwem, because it sounds good, can play both local music as well as connect to pretty much every external service, adjust its sound with a little help and can integrate with voice assistants.

Siri is a joke. Siri on the homepod is an even more worse joke because it can't do some of the things it can on the phone. The problem with it is that Apple waisted a massive headstart they had over everyone else by serious mismanagement of all the staff they acquired, so most of them left in frustration. And when they started to expand it, they did it only in a bad, overly controlled way Apple can by making it work only in specific contexts that would prioritise their services (You can call an Uber or Order food with Siri, but there is currently no API to play music from other apps, probably to drive people to Apple Music). In contrast, when Google or even Cortana added app integration they have no such restrictions.

As for which assistant is better, right now Google's better at answering general knowledge questions, while Alexa has more skills over all, for instance when it comes to Home integration. Google wants to add support for 30 new languages just this year and already have a few more that Amazon doesn't. Amazon's hardware is a little more versatile, All echos have a line out jack so you can connect it to a better sounding speaker. You can also connect an Echo do a better speaker over bluetooth. In comparison, only the most expensive Home Max has a line in jack. You can use any of the Google homes  as a Bluetooth speaker but your only option to connect it up to better speakers is using Google Cast over Wi-Fi. This really cripples the Home mini in my opinion because if I want to connect it to something more powerful I would also need to buy a Chrome cast audio, which is another thing I have to spend $30 on and plug into power. This is why I haven't bought either an Echo or Home. Alexa already has Sonos integration, but Google assistant is also coming, and with that the Sonos might also get Google cast support. If it does, I'll buy a Home mini. If it doesn't then I'll probably get an Echo Dot.

As for the homepod... Well you get none of that. Your only 2 audio output possibilities right now are playing from Apple music, or playing audio from an iDevice or Mac over Airplay. Even though the HomePod has Bluetooth, you can't use it for anything, and it has no connectors on it other than the power cable. Meanwhile, Airplay 2, which is supposed to let the Homepod do the stuff everyone else can, like pairing 2 of them in a stereo configuration or setting up multiroom audio, is not out yet and has been delayed for a few months so far. Meanwhile, Sonos will be getting Airplay 2 as well which is one more reason why I think it's such a superior choice to a homepod.