Re: Reflecting on gaming in general

I can't respond to the entire article because of how much detail is in it... but I will wrap it all up by saying that I agree completely. Simple games that have you coming back again and again are fantastic. However, for some reason, we don't have any of those at the moment... we have too many young developers leaping into the fray, all guns blazing, and trying to pump out the game with the most sounds and content possible. SF 2, released in 1992 is still considered a classic, even with its lack of flashy gimics and other extras. Yet most gamers complain about it because of the lacklustre graphics, or in the case of audiogamers, the fact that the sound is low quality and in mono. I do think that developers should make games that match accordin to their resources, which is why I have so much respect for the Japanese audiogame developers as that is exactly what they've done. Shadow Line doesn't have a huge wall o sound, nor complex gameplay mechanics, nor even the depest story. But it's deep enough to want me to come back to find the items I didn't find last time, or just to see how fast I can beat it. Yet the game wa developed with small resources by a team of two people.

Lastly, props to mentioning JD as that is a prime example of a game that I played again and again. Sometimes it isn't the amount of the things you have to do, but the enjoyment you could possibly get out of the three things that are there.