Re: people touching blind people

I'm in full agreement with Dark, and to be honest, the letting someone use me to fill their good deed quota for the day excuse doesn't fly with me. If you kicked four puppies today, and then you stroll up to me and grab me and assume that I must need help just because I'm carrying a cane, I don't think that quite makes up for it, buddy. The people who are the most concerned about doing good deeds are usually very religious folks, and I highly doubt every person who does this is a devout believer. It's possible, of course, but not likely. In the majority of cases, I am polite about it, because there's no need to cause a scene, but I usually walk away from such encounters grinding my teeth and will probably need to vent about it later. The last thing I want to hear at that point is, "oh, you were the perfect vessel for their good deed." That's sickening, and I hate it.

I do admit that a lot of my problem with this stems from the fact that I don't like to be touched until I know someone fairly well, there are even family members who I'm not close to and who I only see a couple of times a year, if that, who have a penchant for using my shoulder as an armrest. Then again, they also have the annoying habit of talking to me like I'm an infant, too, so there's that. Anyway, even though they're family and I know they're not creepy, my whole body tenses until they decide to wander off and annoy someone else. You'd think that would be apparent to them.

What really bothers me about the whole thing is that, especially nowadays, talk of boundaries is all the rage. If you don't have strong boundaries and express them proudly, you're seen as weak, even mentally unhealthy and emotionally stunted. But disabled people having boundaries? Don't be silly.