Re: Lightweight OpenAL Python Wrapper

@16
Actually, the sound limit is something I'd wondered myself some time ago, but I had a really hard time finding a straight answer between how many sources you can have, players, or stuff playing simultaneously. The 32 limit I picked up from [here], the reasoning being that different hardware has different limits on the number of sounds that can be played, like the XBox 360 can play 300 simultaneous sounds, the Windows Phone 16 sounds, iOS 32 sounds, etc. So in order to be cross platform they limited it to something safe, which is 32, though they say that could be changed with a config file. But while they talk about OpenAL like this, this may only apply to Monogame's implementation of OpenAL. To add even more gasoline to the fire theres a series of emails [here] and [here] discussing OpenAL-Soft which states that there's actually a soft limit of 255 mono sources and 1 stereo source irrespective of OS, which is the same number of sources that can be allocated, and that this ratio between mono and stereo can be adjusted when creating contexts. Ultimately he says the 256 limit is more precautionary against excessive resource consumption. So, while I've said there's a limit of 32 simultaneous sounds, it could be up to 256 or more, I frankly find the issue irritating because it makes it hard to plan out deployment on different systems. Your milage may vary.

Anyway.. As far as I can tell there are no limits to the number of sound files you can have loaded in memory, you can cue multiple sounds to a single player and it will play them one after another, and that there doesn't seem to be a limit on the number of sounds you can queue on a single player.