Re: Honest discussion, why pay for and use jaws over free screen readers?

To answer the OP's question:

1) I didn't find equally good voices on NVDA. Now while some people might say they don't care and some might say they love the voices on NVDA, I prefer more natural voices like the Vocalizer Expressive ones. To me, if I'm gonna hear a voice talking to me all day long, it better be good. Plus I use a French voice and an English one and I like how I can quickly switch between the two voice profiles because I switch all the time. I'm pretty sure this must be possible too with NVDA, but I didn't find how IIRC last time I tried.
2) I find the onbaording easier with jaws. You launch JAWS, next, next, next, install. Then there is a configuration wizard to quickly setup jaws and voila, you have a very good screen-reader out of the box. Now I agree that while there is a ton of options and configurations, it's somewhat painful to dive in the settings center and you most often than not have to guess what you are looking for in the search bar. When I tried NVDA, there was not enough options for me, I couldn't customize it to my liking. Perhaps I needed to install addons, but I find it particularly painful to go seek addons, find what I'm looking for, install it and stuff. I'd prefer that the official addons could be a list of checkbox during the installation and ask which ones you want.

Is it worth the money? I don't know, for me it's free versus free and I got enrolled in the jaws propaganda when I was young and naive. Would I pay $1000 for jaws? Probably not at first. I'd really power try NVDA and if I really go nuts about NVDA, I'd buy a jaws licence before breaking my computer apart. Though I think iI'd get used to NVDA very quickly and it also depends how much money I would make in that hypothetic situation tongue.

Welp, that's pretty much it. I don't see other differences, but voice is important to me. Also, I'm not qualified to say if jaws is more responsive than NVDA or the other way around, I'm just saying what drawback I had when trying NVDA for a few weeks.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Slender via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Slender via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Slender via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Slender via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Origine via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : G-Rad via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Origine via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Mohammed-mufleh via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : mahdi-abedi via Audiogames-reflector