Re: Terrible, Awful, No-good, Very Bad...spelling?

This may be an unpopular opinion and I apologize, but...

If someone has a computer, can use said computer, and doesn't have some sort of mental disability that keeps them from learning, they have no excuse for not looking up how to spell things properly. Google is your friend. Dictionary.com is your friend. Any program with some basic spell-checking functionality is your friend. If you encounter a word using a screen reader and don't know how to spell it, reading character by character is your friend. I don't care if someone was never taught Braille and only reads using speech. There is absolutely no excuse but laziness or mental disability with all the technology we have.

To anyone who said they were never taught but are trying to learn on their own, I salute you. For anyone who has a mental disability that makes things difficult, I say do your best. For those who just say “Well I never learned so I can't spell,” I say stop being lazy and use your technology to learn instead of letting it hold your hand.

Does Braille help? Absolutely. Is it necessary? Not if you have the willingness to learn with speech. It can be done. Punctuation is another issue and Braille will help with that as well. If you're intent on learning, there are many pages on the internet about proper grammar and punctuation.

So, in closing, is lack of proper education in schools to blame? Sure, but so is the lack of self-education. There is so much we can do to learn on our own.