Re: Love2D: a simple, featureful game engine for most platforms

@22, fair enough. I wonder if I should start contributing to LOVE. I wonder if upgrading it to Lua 5.3 would impact it at all? It would make the transition to 64-bit LOVE much simpler.
What I've been trying to peace together either way is, with LOVE, you have specific callbacks you must implement. So, how would I implement, say, a loading screen, a menu, and so on? Would I need to implement a form of an FSM? Would I need to have a central update() loop that does something similar to the following (which was my update loop in C++, I thought it was quite a nice design though I don't know anything about its safety or security):
* Game loop redraws black screen, updates contexts, polls for events and swaps buffer.
* State changes to menu. The menu instance is set as the currently (active) global object
* Game update loop detects the change on the next frame, determines if the game state has user data associated with it, and if so, attains a pointer (or the equivalent in Lua) to that state object and sets up appropriate handlers for input. This repeats each frame. (An LRU cache might make this a lot faster; the way it is in C++ there is almost no overhead.)
* Game loop then calculates sleep times to ensure as close to a constant FPS loop as achievable.
* Game loop then sleeps.
* Operation repeats.
Whenever I see something like what most games do I always puzzle ovr how I'll implement such a thing while making it maintainable.