Re: Why do so many blindies bash android?

Ross,

Ross wrote:

1. As far as I know, Talkback does not have something similar to Voiceover's touch passthrough, the thing that allows me to type on Flicktype. Every person I know that uses Talkback uses dictation. I mean, if you're fine with other people hearing your messages and having your texts riddled with a bunch of mistranslated words, that's fine.

True enough. I use either a tap wearable keyboard ($150) or type to my phone through my Telnet if I'm concerned about accuracy and it's a long message.

Ross wrote:

2. Talkback isn't nearly as responsive as Voiceover. I mean this in the sense that there's always a slight delay in using gestures.

This may be more common on older devices. I have a pixel2 and it's barely noticeable.

Ross wrote:

3. Lack of updates for Android. I'm actually curious for Android users to respond to this, because this is a big reason why I don't use Android.

This is one more reason why you really should purchase a Google-branded device. You'll be first in line for updates. If you are that person that still buys their phones from the carrier, Google's budget Pixel3a is going to be sold by nearly all carriers now. Although, i really don't get why one would do that when you can buy the phone unlocked on a payment plan straight from the google store.

ross wrote:

4. This is actually a rather small reason, and maybe I just never figured out the command. I like being able to pause my audio with a two finger double tap. On a similar note, being able to mute Voiceover. As far as I know, and please correct me if I'm wrong, Talkback doesn't have either of those.

Muting Talkback is indirectly accomplished through its accessibility volume control. While there isn't a magic tap gesture, there's button-mapper pro for android that lets you map volume key commands to those gestures.
All this is from someone who, after a profoundly disappointing Samsung experience, has stuck with the Nexus/Pixel lineup through and through for years now and has never been disappointed by any of them.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : michaelhoffman1976 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : the player via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : queenslight via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : ross via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : cmerry via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : cmerry via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : ross via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : michaelhoffman1976 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : annellin via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : black_mana via Audiogames-reflector