Re: Why do so many blindies bash android?

well said, assault_freak

I also had a surprisingly fast update to android pie. That from the older marsmallow android 6.0 which never got updated (thanks blackberry and empty promises) I was using changed things a lot in terms of accessibility.... but nowadays its so hard to know from people what they exactly are wanting from a phone and what defines accessibility. Right now I just changed the launcher in my phone because I was really accustomed to the blackberry one, which tells you where exactly you can release an icon that you drag to either uninstall the app directly or remove it from your favorite shortcuts... creating and switching screens or tabs for additional apps and so on as well as  folders to bundle many apps into a single category is very intuitive in that one. Its just about the only hugely difficult, laborious 10 hour long and nerdy  tweak  I have done to the entire system, since February.
Sarcasm aside regarding this tweak, I have discovered other things that serve me well. Tasker has a profile that switches my wireless connection off when its been disconnected from any network for more than a minute, or whatever time I want to tell it to do so so my battery does not drain. There are other already made useful profiles that are very easy to download and use from their wiki too, so tweaking that will take you at most, as computer or tech limited as you might consider yourself, 10 difficult minutes out of your very precious, hectic and busy life.

Lets see, what other interesting stuff i have managed to do without even rooting or frying the thing and without spending an entire weekend setting up.. that Ios might simply not have:
The launcher has a whatsapp widget which you can insert into a new page, and is a list  that you can scroll using talkback no problem whatsoever, and it will show the messages that you have received. Double tapping on any of these will put you straight on the chat you wish to reply. SO be diplomatic and never leave someone with the double check, and answer at your own convenience. Takes about 2 minutes to figure out and set up.
On that end of ignoring someone but not wanting to reveal that, thanks to total commander, I have set up a shortcut directly to the whatsapp voice notes folder, ordered by last modified. This means that if someone sends me an audio that I want to hear but want to reply to it later, I can go into that folder and hear the audio file without ever opening the whatsapp conversation and go totally unnoticed.

I had previously mentioned you can buy a bunch of sticky nfc tags, paste them anywhere, then use your phone to record small voice clips describing what you pasted those things on (like red t-shirt, rewind button ETC) and then whenever you scan them they will be played back. No additional app or tedious setup other than recording your own voice is necessary for this. IN the mean time, others will have to wait for apple to start opening up the nfc chips for other use cases .. which do not involve a keynote entrance or an apple pay bank.

and so on. Those are convenience things, never tweaks to have functional basic things working like answering calls or the like.
Fun fact: I am living outside the U.s., and updates are coming in constantly (about two months each at most) and regularly. You'd think those people affiliated into a carrier plan in the U.s. would get them fast or those using pure stock android...
Fun fact 2: My sighted brother had used an IPhone and ditched it for a Samsung. What really irks me about android is that phones are becoming obsolete fastter than what I have liked them to do so, but then Apple has not been playing nice with this either and that goes for every one of their products.
Samsung might be too proprietary and all, but for now I have not had any problems. yes, blind friends with IPhone can use just a few other apps I cannot, but those are easily replaced and are actually not a major inconvenience (sighted friends are just nice to have in every situation anyway)