Re: Final Fantasy VII needs Accessibility for the Blind

At 8

I played them when I was sighted as well. They were usually pretty cinematic with very elaborate cutscenes  and in game detail slightly less in quality--depending on the game. They were designed to flow very movie-like and usually had varying, mostly static, camera angles.

I have very little experience with any Final Fantasy games past 10.

Prior to Final Fantasy 7, they were top down games with few cutscenes--like Zelda. And when there was a cutscene, it used the in-game engine. Again, though, it was very much written like an epic movie or fantasy with lots of emotional content.

at OP

I loved all those JRPG games and wish I could play them again.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid all the naysayers are correct. Accessibility is best planned for and implemented at the beginning of any project, and I'm sure the Final Fantasy remake has been in the works for a long time now. They are well into the project. Doing anything at this point would be prohibitively expensive for very little financial incentive.

The sad thing about all of it is, if it it's a turn based game like most of the others, it really wouldn't take much to make it accessible (assuming it's not too hard to connect to the screen reader). Out side of all the text in the game which can be read by a screen reader, much of what else you'd need is a simple audible radar type system to help with navigating. I'm sure the audio in the game is being tooled to bring the game up to modern standards which would have the side effect of giving us lots of audio cues.

I'm afraid for all those old JRPG experiences, we are on our own for the time being. It's up to us to make good use of things like Ebon Skies' RPG tool or create our own.