Re: Do you feel excluded?

@leibylucw, i don't think its a question of anyone wishing for sight, that is a hole other topic. I do however think its not unreasonable to wish to have the same ease carrying out everyday tasks, including social interaction as everyone else does.

To take a simple example, a sighted person walks into a pub, can glance around, make eye contact, see if anyone wants to start a conversation, can read the menu behind the bar, and can walk straight to a seat and sit down and doesn't generally have to care about ambient noise levels, indeed  many sighted people it is the very none verbal communication that makes pubs and clubs a good social environment.

A blind person cannot make eye contact so is always limited to making the first move, cannot go off none verbal sygnals so if the ambient noise level is too high is pretty much stuck, is reliant on either other people or a guide dog to find either the seat or the bar, cannot read a menu etc etc.

You can still do it of course, I often did in colege, but what is for a sighted person a relaxing half hour, is for a blind person hugely more difficult, and that's before we get into the aforementioned mess of whether anyone will actually want to talk to you anyway, which, as previously stated is a pretty slim possibility.

This was a major point in the definition of disability I wrote into my phd, that the characteristic of a disability is the effort a disabled person undertakes in fulfilling desires.

Oh you can still do it and be happy and fulfill your dreams and whatever other bloody cliches you want to throw out, but yee gods you'll have to work harder, that's just how the damn world is!

In terms of tech and accommodations, imagine this situation.  sitting on the seat at the front of a very full buss when someone gets on with a walking frame. They  ask you if  you would please stand up and let them have your seat, because as their walking frame has wheels on the bottom, it makes it very difficult to stand on a moving vehicle, and while you don't have functional eyeballs at least you have working legs and can hold onto a bar for five or ten minutes.

I don't imagine most people here have walking frames or know what its like to be on a buss with one, however, in this situation the person has explained the specific problem caused by their disability, and asked you to make a miner accommodation for them. Of course, if they asked you to get off the buss entirely for some reason, or if they asked you to stand the hole way on a three hour long journey, that would not! be a reasonable thing to ask.

The right moral action here is pretty obvious.

So, do I expect sighted people to know about screen readers? Well of course I don't, neither do I expect every bit of visual information everywhere to have a text caption. However, I don't think its unreasonable to ask a developer to stick some labels on html buttons in their game, or to ask a lecturer to speak what they're writing onto the black board or putting up on the overhead projector.

How this translates to the social media discussion I don't know, since as I said generally speaking if someone's entire topic of conversation ran along the lines of "ha ha ha  look at this funny video" I probably wouldn't be interested in interacting with them either.

Btw, is it me, or is the world getting stupider?