I have some questions regarding recording setups

Hi everyone.

so I was testing out my new recording gear and I noticed some problems with it.

The recordings seam to distort and sound strange. The 3D effect works fine, but I still want to improve on the recordings.

Following are two links to two recordings i have made. it would be cool if you could give me feetback on what I can do better, I will describe my recorder below the recordings.

First one, roadside atmosphere.
http://anyaudio.net/listen?audio=fulceyVFxsq51j

Second, bad weather with thunder in the distance.
http://anyaudio.net/listen?audio=FPuwoWN6lzdb

My recorder is an olympus ls14 and here are the settings I have, I am still unsure on what does what.

Mik gain, is set to medium.
Limmiter, set to off, can be switched to music and voice.
lowcut filter, set to off, can be set to 300 or 100 HZ

There are also a different array of recording settings, quick which just starts the recording, manual which puts in some kind of pre recording monitor, sadly doesn't work if I have the mics on my ears, and smart which listens for a defined time, and sets the recording to a level which it thinks is appropriate.

so, any tips on what I can improve?

Greetings Moritz.