Re: I have some questions regarding recording setups

What microphones do you have? I can look them up, and compare to mine,, and with a bit of luck, be able to advise you if you run into problems. Just using low instead of medium I think is a good first step. I'm just afraid that will be too quiet, and that's why I recommend manual. With manual, you can set the level in between low and medium.

But before I get ahead of myself, I'm getting a small suspicion that the ls14 and lsp2 are more different than I thought. Maybe manual on the ls14 is something completely different from what I'm thinking, or maybe you are mixing up the terms? If things end up getting confusing I'll try to find an ls14 manual and read about how it does things so I can put things in better context.

When I'm not sure where to put my gain, I normally make a few test recordings with the microphones placed in the way you intend to actually record, then put the files on pc and listen to them. The  quick and dirty way to check whether the gain is adequate would be to see if a recording of your voice or normal sounds around you is about half the volume of your speech, provided your speech is louder than most other sounds. This gives you a bit of room for things to get a little loud without making a super quiet recording. The more scientific way to do it would be to checck the file using Gold Wave or some other audio editor that can tell you the peak volume of the file. In general I aim for -10dB for normal sounds like my voice, and possibly lower such as -15 or -20 dB if you're gonna record something potentially loud. Or maybe switch on the limiter as an extra safety net if you want. If the peak is -5 or higher for just normal speech recording, then you should turn the gain down some. I feel more comfortable using headphones for this, but once the gain is set appropriately, you can just leave it and all of your recordings will be at that gain, unless you change it later. So, no need to take headphones with you smile.