Re: Android development

@Belov: I was talking about C# on Android. smile
It's great, you can do multiplatform apps as well as apps targeted specifically to Android. In the second case you have object model very similar to that from Java, because Xamarin covered nearly every Android Java library. That means you can read an example project in Java and then easily find C# equivalents of classes and methods used. Another plus is, that Xamarin devs didn't just copied everything from Java, but edited it in a way, that you can use native android functions with C# naming convintions and beauty. That of course changes slightly the api, but if you know C#, you can easily predict how.
I don't know how this is understandable, thus I will give you a simple example of what I mean.
This is Java code to call a method, when button is clicked:

        activateButton=findViewById(R.id.activateButton);
        activateButton.setOnClickListener(new Button.OnClickListener()
            {
            @Override
            public void onClick(View v)
                {
                activateButton_Click();
                }
            });

Imagine you have about 20 buttons in your activity and want to react on their clicks. That's my favorite argument, when I criticise Java. big_smile
for comparation, here is the same thing in C# Xamarin, activationButton is okButton in this case, but functionality is the same:

okButton=FindViewById<Button>(Resource.Id.okButton);
            okButton.Click+=okButton_Click;

This is why I love C#. big_smile

Along Java api, you have full C# tool box with you in Xamarin, so things like Timer, which you will most likely use in game development (which is by the way not in Java, you must use delayed runnables to simulate it), Threading namespace for asynchronous programming or even LINQ can be used as easy as on Windows, what makes it so powerful, much more than Java imo.

So this is my recommendation, of course select what is the most close to your heart, and what will make the development funny and enjoyable for you. smile

Best regards

Rastislav

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Belov via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Rastislav Kiss via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Rastislav Kiss via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Belov via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Ilya via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Rastislav Kiss via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : kianoosh via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : jonikster via Audiogames-reflector