Re: Announcing Expanding Known Space from Valiant Galaxy Associates

Snow,
When last I had looked I hadn't seen your email.  We'll be sure to get on that asap.

Supersayan,

Oops, I forgot to look at your spelling of your handle before I started, my apologies.  We take it seriously, however, we also committed to this course for good reasons.  We also know that a number of people are fine with the self-voicing option.  Having both options creates double the code work for very little return.  Since there's only one of us coding, this will delay games even more, and for very little gain most likely.  That said, it's not off the table, it is just not something we have chosen to do in any of the four games released thus far, other than partially in Yellowbonnet.

As to the GDG usage, again, we have good reasons for using it.  It is a work in progress, but I believe if you look at a number of other game companies payment systems, it's no worse nor no better.  If you don't like either the voice nor the internet connection, then you're free to vote with your feet.  I'll be sad to lose someone who plays the games, but this point has been raised, and argued each time, and like religion it's mostly a matter of opinion.  If you want to play while in a car, internet connection is a problem.  If you want to have Sapi self-voicing is a problem.  Otherwise, they aren't issues.

I hate to be blunt about it, but frankly, it is what it is.  Aaron didn't put hours of work into the voicing not to use it.  We don't really wish to spend extra months writing in extra Sapi commands, and GDG connection accomplishes a number of things that we would otherwise have to use crappy hacks for.

Dark:

Lightning game can result in combat and in a greater AI challenge on higher difficulty levels.  If you'd like I can play a lightning game on insane mode and show you the differences.  Lightning mode is perhaps not the best demo for combat, but the other short one is close quarters combat, and that one would be a slaughterfest for a new player.  I felt it would be too discouraging for players to play the demo and immediately get taken out.

If players want to be immediately taken out, we can possibly add that as a second demo option in a later update.

The only other real choice would be to allow a game on normal mode and shut it down after 10 or 15 turns, which would be most unsatisfactory to me.  one of my biggest complaints when I played Time of Conflict's demo was that I would just start to get somewhere then hit the 100 turn limit.

With all of the above issues excluding Snow's, all of these issues are places where compromises had to be made.  Compromises by definition don't please everyone.

Thanks for the feedback, it's appreciated.

Take care,

Jeremy

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Quasar via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : vga via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : vga via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : drums61999 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : TheBlindSaiyan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : snow via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : vga via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : vga via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Quasar via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : rashad via Audiogames-reflector