Re: What is wrong with the NFB?

Again, I feel like the thrust of the training is being missed here.

No one is forcing you to undergo any of this against your will. If you don't want to undergo this sort of training, feel free to simply not do it. This is true of things such as weight training, deep-sea diving and god knows how many other things which in some way compromise the body; nobody's got a gun to your head, people.

Senses are just organic tools. Let's dispense with the pseudoscientific hooey on that score. If you view your sight, or your hearing, or any other way in which you perceive the world as somehow sacred, an indelible part of you, then that's your hangup, not the NFB's hangup. Feel free to hold that opinion, but again, it's down to you. That is not the failure of an organization which is using tested and tried methods to accomplish change.

The NFB - and indeed, any organization or teaching style - cannot possibly account for every single differentiation of its studentry. This is not realistic. That said, to have everyone on an equal playing field where vision is not complicating the learning process is very important. Because for every person who could use their functional vision well, there are probably at least a few who would get confused (McGurk effect as one example) or would be slower because they were being permitted to use a sense that was giving them conflicting information. In other words...yes, are there people out there who could use their vision and probably learn even faster than the NFB sets up? Yeah, I guess that's possible, albeit probably a statistical minority of folks fit that bill. But I bet you it would be more hassle than it's worth in a big-picture sense. It is simply easier to put everyone on a similar level, teach the no-vision skills in an environment where no vision is there to complicate their learning, and deal with the discomfort.

As I understand it, BTW, training is 6-8 hours per day, and that's when you'd have to wear sleep shades. I'm not sure on the specifics, but you don't have to wear them 24/7; I'm quite sure that on breaks, or when you're off the clock so to speak, you can use whatever vision you have in whichever way you choose. They're not saying "no vision, ever". They're saying "no vision while we're actually trying to teach you". And given the prevalence of vision deterioration, this just makes logical and even mathematical sense.