quests in audio games

Hi there,
So this question comes from a quest game nwbie, both in terms of text games and otherwise. I've always been rubbish at them.
In muds and text adventures, quests usually consist of looking at the right object, examining the right noun, ETC.
But how does that work in an audio game?
I'm assuming most audio games have beeps and such to indicate where there is an item, or a ladder ETC.
So doesn't that make it pretty obvious?
What was the best audio game quest you ever did, and what made it great?