Re: Roguelike Radio ep on designing for VI

I must be unusual then, because I actually found roguelikes to be among the more satisfying experiences in braille. Yes you need to scroll and memorise, but if your screen reader (I use BRLTTY) shows you an exact copy of a text layout, and permits you to change your view both horizontally and vertically, you should be fine. Though you may need to do some work to configure things in games that allow it (EG nethack putting the cursor at the player marker).

I'm not sure how to render a roguelike in audio, to be honest. I think the best option is a two-stage process, letting the player explore the current map and then target a particular square to jump. However this will probably ruin the gameplay experience, which credit where credit is due is something that Entombed managed to neatly abstract.