Re: Manamon 2: Impressions Thread

Yeah...the whole bit where you keep losing stats every round is just straight-up busted. The inability to switch, all by itself, isn't awful; the loss of stats is utterly crippling. Werewolfsyre has amazing attack, but even that does not save it.

As for the whole meta thing...well, it depends on which generation you mean, though pokemon, too, has some that work and many that don't. If you watch some VGC2019 matches you'll see the same 20-30 running rampant over the metagame because they work and are not well balanced against others.
In general, Aaron has focused so much on new attacks (whish is a great thing, BTW) that he hasn't put the attention he could've done into some support abilities. Some are great, many are gimicky. Increasing evasion in rain/sand is cool, but you kinda need rain/sand, and in a hyper-offensive metagame, why waste a moveslot? Thus why I suggested some auto-weather abilities on certain mons. Snow Rescue is neat, as is Snow Defenses or whatever that ability Maustadon has. Basically weather is a good idea but not quite there yet. A lot of moves still have accuracy issues, though this is largely better; it shouldn't come down to too much randomness at the end of the day. Basically, it's still gonna take time for the online meta to really get rolling, because ingame a lot of stuff can be made to work.
Basically Aaron is afraid of power creep. I said this many, many pages ago. He doesn't like it when stuff gets strong, so he errs on the side of too much caution and nerfs first and scales back later. This is not an absolute, he doesn't do it every time, but it's definitely a tendency he's got. Just look at the aforementioned Werewolfsyre. Look at the adrenaline moves. Look at Full Moon Blessing, which apparently needs 2 def and 2 spec.def drop just to fire. No thanks.
One of the largest things he's doing wrong though is a lack of teachable moves. Manamon 2 is way better than manamon 1 where movesets are concerned, but let me make this perfectly clear. If you have three different flame attacks on a flame manamon, that is not a good moveset. Ever. One of Pokémon's greatest strengths are the versatility of creatures, never really knowing what you're gonna come up against. This is simply not the case for manamon. I know Sirenea is going to be a special attacker. I know Turrubble is going to be a fairly hard-hitting defensive wall with stone and earth moves. I'm not ever going to have to worry that either of these mons busts out a toxic-protect combo and screws me over.
And on, and on.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Vazbol via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Tristan04 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Honk via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Honk via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Tristan04 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : the best in the world via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Honk via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : the best in the world via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Trajectory via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Hijacker via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Hijacker via Audiogames-reflector