Re: Thoughts on Shoehorning unrelated content into works of entertainment.

I'm afraid the only N.K. Jemisin story I've read was very much an example of "look at the evil white christian people." But I'm willing to give her stuff another try, heck, even Connie willis wrote a terribly misandric story on one occasion.

I think the single best recent author I've run into in terms of both including different minorities, and saying interesting things, as well as writing some damn complex characters, is Becky Chambers, especially in her wayfarers series,

see My reviews for the trilogy here,

I also absolutely loved Anna Smails book The Chimes, which is one of the single most beautiful, dark and amazingly written things I've read for a long time, and a great example of a book with both a gay character, and shock horror even a visually impaired character which doesn't preach in the least.

see My review here.