Re: Thoughts on Shoehorning unrelated content into works of entertainment.

Chris, if you were truly as okay with everything that you don't embody as you claim, then seeing it in your fiction and such wouldn't bother you. It would just be one more thing you're experiencing, one more thing you're seeing.

Now, if someone gets up there and really gets on the soapbox? Then fine, I suppose. I can see why that might make you uncomfortable. But for me, the question is one of relevancy. For instance, if you're reading a book, and you have two classes of people, and the oppressed class finds a way to fight back and you've got someone from that class making a rousing speech, I would think that is uplifting, not annoying. Ditto if we were talking about a movie or book or whatnot where, in the context, same-sex relationships are outlawed, and yet one of the characters happens to be LGBTQ and enters into an illicit relationship. This could go all kinds of bad, but it is also fertile ground for excellent points to be made.

Art imitates life. Just remember that. If all you want is a little bubble to have your opinions in, both art and life are going to pop that bubble from time to time, and that's your failing, not the failing or art or life.

Frankly, I find the flood of inclusion in the last couple of decades extremely uplifting. It's not enough on its own, but it's proof that people are being braver and bucking conventions a little bit, which I think this world sorely needs.