Opinions on the victer reader stream

Hey all.
So I was recently given a stream by one of my teachers at school who doesn't use it anymore. It's the first generation, so no wi-fi capability sadly, but it's still pretty cool and I've been loving it so far. I have a few questions though.
1, anyone know what cable the stream uses to connect to the PC? I would assume micro USB, but would like to know before I go out and buy something for it. It annoyingly uses a proprietary plug to charge, so that doesn't really tell me anything, and the teacher didn't know anything either.
2, any way to change the TTS voice? This one uses a voice that sounds pre recorded mixed with some arcane version of daniel compact. I herd you could get eloquence on there, or at least some of the other nuance voices.
I'd also be curious to know  what you guys think of the device? I personally like it because of it's portability, ability to hold a loooot of data thanks to SD cards, and most of all it's ebook playing functionality. Being able to listen to ebooks without constantly turning pages is really refreshing.