Re: Is it Time to Re-Discuss Copyright Rules on This Forum

Jack, I have no intention of bringing distrust amongst the administration team. I respect whatever decision they choose to make no matter what the situation, because I know that no matter what they do, they aren't out to screw the community. I'm only making this post to bring up something which has the potential to become an issue before it does.

Liam wrote:

No one is going to get a warning or anything for posting this topic, but we will probably ask in fuure people do not link to the site if it contains information on how to get copyrighted material illegally. obviously, the site is down so we can't exactly check it at the moment.

The issue I see here is someone linking to one of the perfectly legal addons/programs hosted on Jeff's site, or maybe someone decides to link to the addon/program repository itself, and the link gets blacklisted because of the less than legal content that inhabits his website. The admins are not jerks, so I know they wouldn't outright ban or warn someone who did this not knowing there was illegal content on there; at most they'd probably receive a gentle caution. However, this means that nobody can point to anything on his site that's kosher without hosting it themselves on Dropbox or their own website, because anything on the blacklist is replaced with ***. This goes for pretty much any other website that's mostly kosher minus the occasional reference to pirated material here and there.
There's another issue I've taken note of as well. As I said before, posting links to game ROM's is against the rules, even if they're ROM'S of games that can't be obtained anymore. This is all well and good, until you look at the second page of the New Releases room and see that there's a topic about the Pokemon Crystal Access project, which contains a ROM for Pokemon Crystal. According to the forum rules, this is not allowed. However, if the admins disallowed this project on the forum, a lot of people would be upset that they can't download it anymore and I'm guessing discussion of the project may possibly not be allowed, although I need someone to confirm whether or not this would be the case as I'm really not sure. At the same time though, if the admins keep this topic around, they could possibly get into legal trouble for allowing it. Either way, no matter what they do could present issues. This is part of the reason I made this topic, so we as a community can discuss these issues and try to come up with a one-size fits-all solution.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : defender via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Dan_Gero via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : redfox via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : jack via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Dan_Gero via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : jack via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Liam via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : jack via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : jack via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Dan_Gero via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Dan_Gero via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : jack via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Xoren via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : jack via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : audiogame via Audiogames-reflector