Re: Is it Time to Re-Discuss Copyright Rules on This Forum

The problem isn't the restriction of illegal content. In my view, the problem is the sensationalism by forum members over this topic. Many of the limitations placed on the forum's content are out of respect for content creators and IP holders. You can't say it's wrong to download a crack of Shades of Doom, but in the same breath say that it's fine to download Frozen 2 for free, or indeed to get Red Dead Redemption 2 for free.
I think the rules regarding these kinds of links are fine as is. And heck, at the end of the day, we're supposed to be discussing games, not be a black market stop shop for links to illegal content.
Are there gray areas in this respect? Absolutely. But I don't think it's for the users to contend with how the staff choose to handle those gray areas, unless a certain decision would end up hurting the site more than help it. As a hint, allowing the free distribution of questionable links would be hurting the site more than helping, as I'm sure the site's admins would rather take down the site than fight a legal case over what a couple users chose to post (I know that's how I'd handle a Cease and Desist from a publisher if I were the owner of audiogames.net).
Is it restrictive? Probably. Does it defeat the purpose of AudioGames.net? Not in the least.
This constant criticism of the staff's decisions regarding the site seems very disrespectful to me. It's like people are saying "We don't trust how you guys are handling the management of the site, and so we're going to take it into our own hands to come up with a better approach." And while there may be times when such an approach is necessary, vying against the staff on copyright issues isn't one of them.
There are a plethora of resources that people can go to for such content. Audiogames.net does not need to be such a resource. It's fine being a site to discuss games playable by the blind and visually impaired, rather than a site where you can find links to download the entire Lord of the Ringtones collection, or a cracked copy of Windows Solitaire.

Kai

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : redfox via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : jack via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Dan_Gero via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : jack via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Liam via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : jack via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : jack via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Dan_Gero via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Dan_Gero via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : jack via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Xoren via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : jack via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : audiogame via Audiogames-reflector