has anyone used emacspeak?

So, I've been testing out archlinux on a secondary desktop, and hopefully will get to a point where I can switch (for real, this time) to it full time, with a virtual machine of either windows XP or 7 for things like skype. Am just wondering if anyone has used emacspeak on linux, and if so how good does it work as opposed to  the console or a traditional desktop, and is the somewhat complicated setup worth it? I've heard some nice things about it, but the web page, this release announcement for example:
http://emacspeak.sourceforge.net/releas … -39.0.html
looks, well, unprofessional to say the least.