Re: let's talk rise of skywalker

What I've gathered is that people seemed to want the same old story repackaged. As soon as The Last Jedi started monkeying with things, people began to howl. Luke is suddenly a jaded old dude who's kind of burnt out because the thing he spent his life fighting for is sort of busted? Well hell, I thought that was neat, but too many people just wanted golden-boy to come back and do what he'd been doing for however many movies before. There's something to be said for "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", but I think at least some people can say that after at least eight movies overall, Star Wars is getting pretty tired. The Last Jedi was not perfect, but I think it did a lot of things that fans weren't expecting, and instead of accepting those things as good, they all went "Oh no you can't do that to my precious precious Star Wars" and flipped out.

I'm actually sort of amused at the whole thing, since a great many criticisms aimed at The Last Jedi seem to focus in some way or other around so-called gender politics. I also think it's funy how people get upset that Rea is always succeeding, apparently, yet Luke did this (and worse) in the original trilogy, and then Annikin did much the same in the prequels. Is the issue really that we have pseudo prodigy-level advancement? Or is it that Rea is female? Or what exactly is it? I dunno...but suffice to say I can be quite certain I will not like the Rise of Skywalker.