Re: let's talk rise of skywalker

Well we went to see the rise of skywalker yesterday.

I'll admit I did like it better than last Jedi, but that's not saying much, since it didn't feature any character assassinations, or utterly illogical stuff like Space Leya.
I'll even go as far as saying there are the seeds of a good film here, Rey actually had some conflict and some reason for her backstory, and the plot concerning Kylo Ren almost worked.

The problem though, is that like force awakens the hole thing felt bland.

Okay, I'll start on spoilers now, so if you've not seen the film, read no more because here come the spoiling spoilers of spoileriness.

So, Palpatine's back, ---- why? And the sith have a homeworld why? And their own untranslatable language. And apparently Palpatine first wants Rey dead, then he wants to possess her, then he can randomly suck the power out of her for no reason.
Oh and that imperial army shop really! needs to be careful who they sell their space armadas tooo. I also notice now we've gone from one deathstar, to every single star destroyer being a mini deathstar on it's own?

Actually, a lot of the plot felt like this. let's have C3PO give up his memory, accept it's restored, let's have Chubaka captured, accept he's rescued, let's have a huge glorious hope moment where Lando's random allies turn up to support the rebellion, accept that Palpatine can apparently just blow away a hole fleet on his own anyway.

I did like the fact Rey was trained in the force by Leya (as she should be rather than succeeding without training), actually the way they intigrated Carry fisher was impressive, however there really needed to be a little better setup for pretty much everything here, or at least let the pace and the events have consequence rather than just relying on nostalgia and big explosions in the hopes that a really illogical plot will sort of work. actually, between this and the plot hole in the last Jedi, I sort of wonder who actually looks at writing in films anymore? then again I suppose they're too busy thinking about all those dollar signs.

We were also sorry to see so little of Rose, who was one of the few good things about the last Jedi, and that Po and Fin's character arcs didn't really get resolved, indeed again the colony of rebel storm troopers living in the ruins of the deathstar was a lovely idea, which just didn't get used at all.
Actually, speaking of Po and Fin, I don't know if romance is randomly a dirty word now, or what. There was a lot of rumours that Po and Fin would end up together and their friendship was more than friendship, rose not withstanding, but here nothing got resolved at all.

Admittedly, I suspect much of this was to do with the messy way the trilogy was handled. Abrams had a plan for the Force Awakens. The force awakens wans't exactly great, my over all feeling was a resounding Meh, but it didn't cause the terrific mess the way the last Jedi did.
Rian Jonson was slated to produce not only a third film, but yet another prequal trilogy. Then however, when Last Jedi did so badly, Jonson got sacked, and Abrams had to run back in and pick up the pieces.

I suspect in the original outline,  Snoke was supposed to be palpatine's son and Rey's father, Kylo's redemption was to have happened far sooner, and likely Luke was  to get himself killed obiwan style by either Snoke or a revived Palpatine, and not be a total arse hole who randomly decided to murder a child for no readily apparent reason.

So, abrams had to get back on track with this film, indeed it's remarkable just how little of the last Jedi actually had any impact at all on the plot of rise of skywalker.

so, instead of getting what was probably planned to be two fairly bland starwars films, we had to get two fairly bland starwars films shoved into one, which resulted in the blandity and illogical plots getting sort of compacted into a singularity big_smile.

So, thus ends starwars, not with a bang, but with a wihmper, actually with a lot of bangs, but bangs which pretty much caused a whimper in terms of emotional resonance big_smile.

Oh well, I suppose it's improved Disney's stock, which after all is what films are for these days.