Re: I have worked at home and here is what i learned. What about you?

Hmmm being a tester and doing a bit of sound work, I'd like to get into work like this.
However, lets see, funding to start.
I have goldwave, audacity, a lot of free sounds, a lot of sounds I either downloaded from games, cracked or got given to me from other dead places.
I don't have the best gear.
I have a reasonably powerfull laptop, and I could get a reasonably powerfull desktop if I needed it.
The rest, hmmm.
More advanced sound software, maybe an accessible ocr package like k1000 to handle ocr, and for completeness jaws and maybe a braille device, and probably a modern phone for starters, a better mic, a lot of things.
Beta testing and web testing seem to be the easiest ways forward, as well as government research contracts, nice, classified and secure and earning the big bucks.
But none of these are continuous, even the government contracts are not a garanteed thing even though I have worked my way to test pilot.
Funding for projects is getting harder and harder, office space, hiring out lab and computer time to do the really big nural programming projects needs things like time, and working at weird times, etc.
Testing for access is nice, boring and safe if I could ever get more of it.
Beta testing is also nice boring and safe with almost no overhead to the lab rat or pilot doing it.
None of my jobs need me to write more than the hours I do etc.
I am on a few testing platforms but none of them have pulled any signifficant roles.
On the other end of the scale, it would have been better if I got a job when I was 21-31 when I was actually needing work and in the university thing.
I have been at home for most of my 37 years and love doing what I want.
I don't think I would survive going to work mainstream now, pluss, the first thing I'd have to do would be to resit courses for office, windows, word, powerpoint and excell because I am qualified for 97 and xp but thats it.
Officially my last windows training has qualified me for windows 1995-xp, jaws 6.0 and hal 12.
So basically if I ever got a serious job, then I'd have to get a serious upgrade and I don't have the cash to unretard myself.
Saying that if a company was prepaired to see past that and pay for my technology, training and extra studdies I'd be all for it.
I almost got a job doing language tutorials, but the guy I did it for took 10 years to even come back to me with a possible offer in which case I had moved on.
It would have been a good job but I had moved on.
Also due to my timezone and all that, the best jobs for me are jobs where I work, and interact via email, no audio calls, no online interaction nothing like that unless it didn't matter and could be done to my timezone, I find it quite hard.
I have been often banned/fired/ told I didn't help because the online bit of work I had to do happened while I was sleeping and there is no way I will constantly fuck up my day for a job that may or may not earn me cash and most of thatstuff didn't.
Its just easier for all if that is never the case as such.
Ideally my job would to either work for an international business that was flexable and tooktimezones into account for deadlines, everything from online to offline work, or a local business either offline or online that would do it face to face at home or at a location or online where I worked a set few hours and such and still could continue living my life.
With my family all either retired or about to, there will be a period of traveling about with them, and if that meant work wize especially if it was local if I could have a laptop and a net connection then I would all be for it.
I've practically been out of the mainstream world workforce to long to easily assimilate back into the corperate borg that easily if at all.
Technically my bennifit forms say I am still looking, and in my mind it would be nice.
But on a practical side I just havn't, even if I could, there is a lot of things I need to do, some of my education due to people helping me with access to things mean that well to get back will be a battle.
Not to mention that I will have to use jaws for things since thats what blindies still use for jobs to some extent.
The really big badguy in this mix, is that there is no funding unless I find a job and they agree to give it to me.
I can't do everything completely myself and with some choices the funding agencies have done in the past I don't feel I can trust them that much if at all.
Search through the forum, there you will find a lot of angry sweary rants on the subject.
The world left me in a hole and I want to get out.
But to get out to where I was before is going to be a challenge, and I am just not sure if even if I could if I'd want to get out now.
Of course, if I knew I'd get somewhere this time or had a 90% chance of actually getting to the golden towers of propper life maybe I'd try.
But I will keep that last bit of reserved strength either till I can get that thing whatever it is or till I get to 60 or so.
20 odd years.
If I don't then its probably the disabled old person's hospital home for me.
I don't see much real life after I leave home simply since there hasn't been something for a while.
What keeps me here is my youth, I have at least another 20-30 years before I need to be worried about leaving this world but with my dad at 70 and my mum not far behind approaching her 65thh, within the next 20 years life is going to change in a big way.
At the end of that, it will be survival, for me that will be some place with people to care for me, and wait my turn.
Its not something I've thought about as such but unless I manage to find a way in the next 10-20 years thats going to be the end game for me.
It took me 10 years to get to grips I was not moving, and in 20 years, I will have to make some big decisions where I want to end up.
And when I do I want somewhere warm where I can dream.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : nuno69 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : pauliyobo via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : nuno69 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : nuno via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : kaigoku via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : cartertemm via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Munawar via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : kaigoku via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : The Dwarfer via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : wightfall via Audiogames-reflector