Re: Lossless Audio in Games

For sounds/audio environments, I'd say lossless all the way. If people don't like it they can get a larger hd and more ram, sata-based ssd's are becoming more budget-friendly with the advent of pciE-based drives. AS for ram/cpu it's all based on the machine you get nowadays for in the case of laptops. The reason I bring this up now before someone can say, but my flee-market machine... is because just like the whole windows xp fude, there are going to be the folks that may object that either have their 4gb ram windows 7/10 machines, or still have their machine that got the free upgrade to windows 10, and I for one would not be able to do much comparison between lossy vs lossless audio handling unless I brought out my old Pentium t4300-based machine with an hdd. At least if audio games are to be potentially brought into 64bit land for more abstract audio environments (look at City of Flesh as an example of high-resource yet great audio handling, then we are going to have to start raising the bar for system requirements along with the video gaming industry (minus the gpu requirements of course).
Regarding audio handling, Three-D Velocity handled it in a bit of a hybrid though not a one-size-fits-all. All of the sounds of the game were in wave, and the long cutscenes were ogg. A game of the present could use a combination of wave and flac (wave for smaller audio/game sounds and flac for longer bits) or go flac-exclusively.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : philip_bennefall via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : haily_merry via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Vulcan_Raven via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : keithwipf1 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Mitch via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Xoren via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Mitch via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : iceguard via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : john via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : iceguard via Audiogames-reflector