Re: The program for playing audio files by the key

@1: regarding sound I can send you my wrapper for libaudioverse, which turns its node based system into bgt style Sound object, so you can use basically the same methods as you would in BGT, like play, play_wait, play_looped, stop, etc. on Sound objects.
It's asynchronous, it has support for selection of sound devices (although I have no idea, if you can list them as well) and it can play multiple sounds at once, though I didn't try if to multiple outputs at once as well.
Of course it isn't really important which library you choose, i think most of the famous do equally well. You can go for bass in C#, there is a complete and nicely documented wrapper there.

As for saving to ini files, why to bother with it? Just collect your keys in a dictionary, and then serialize it using pickle, or any other serialization library, if you want the output in yaml, json or xml.
The same goes for C#, which has native xml as well as binary serializers.

As for gui, I still like WxPython more than PyQt, but for such simple app, I think it doesn't really matter. Go with whichever syntax and tutorials you like more. Again, the same goes for C#, Winforms and WPF will both give you infact equal functionality, when it's primarily about catching keys.

And like others pointed out already, you don't need to bother with multithreading either, your audio library should do it for you. And if you ever needed it for some reason, Python has built-in modules which... let say allow you to run two things at once, that should be enough. Until you keep your eye on ownership of individual threads and make sure that they have what they work with just for themselves, there is really nothing to worry about. Real problems appear, when two or more threads need to access the same memory, but you shouldn't really need that in this project.

Best regards

Rastislav

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Nuno via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Hijacker via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Hijacker via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Hijacker via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Hijacker via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Rastislav Kiss via Audiogames-reflector