Re: Gauging interest in another 3d audio project

Disclaimer:  I'm not a coder, nor a sound designer, so I'm only going based off of my second hand observations.

I think this could be pretty great for our community, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Lucia project would incorporate it.
And since Lucia seems to be making the most headway right now in the transition away from BGT, that's where most of the more legit up and coming devs are focusing from what I've seen.
I'm also reasonably confident that if you were to set up a Patreon or something, than you'd get a few people donating to your efforts, and that might help you justify the time expenditure.

I will say though that it seems the majority of devs willing to utilize 3D audio correctly are already using either their own custom engines, or preexisting libraries, since most of them are indi mainstream devs to begin with.
Hence I honestly don't see many devs from this community using something like this anywhere close to it's actual potential, but for the small amount that might, I think it could complement their projects greatly.
Comprehensive documentation and tutorials would help to alleviate this somewhat, and you may be able to get help with that, but unless something drastically changes, than this will likely only be of use to the small portion of the community that consistently come out with higher quality titles anyway.
Which, might not be such a bad thing, since they already lead the audio games market, and are also much more likely to be able to afford a moderately priced paid product, if the licensing would allow you to do that.

There is also a particular need for a better solution that is cross platform between Windows and Mac, as I've heard that the current options are either too buggy or too expensive, and that testing with two different implementations can significantly hamper testing.

That's just my understanding of it though, and I'm sure that someone with greater experience could give you a more in depth rundown of the situation.

    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : defender via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : NicklasMCHD via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : frastlin via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : bgt lover via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : philip_bennefall via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ashleygrobler04 via Audiogames-reflector