Re: Gauging interest in another 3d audio project

@5
Cross platform is kinda doable.  It's just the audio piece though.  One of the things that happened is the audio output libraries I could find stopped sucking, and that's the hardest part to make cross platform.  However I don't have access to nor the desire for a mac, so someone will have to support it and all I can do is make it relatively easy.  I'm planning to use clang anyway, so the compilers will at least be compatible.

I personally feel like there's some degree of chicken and egg going on.  Audiogames used to be better.  Then the audio part of audiogames got pulled when Microsoft killed hardware accelerated audio in Vista and never replaced it, and then it was just this slow slide into what we have today.

I mean seriously, you'd never see Audioquake nowadays.  That thing is incredibly hard to play, but the people back then did it.  I don't actually know what made the difference--I'm not blaming audio--but well, there you have it.  I'm not saying that audioquake was even a particularly good example of the genre, just using it as some sort of barometer for the effort/skill/etc that went into stuff.

We should at least have more shades of doom clones than we do.  Maybe it was that we had a few active, prominent devs, but it didn't feel like that was the case at the time.

Synthizer came up because I am slowly plucking away at an RPG engine of my own, sort of Unity for audiogames, and ran up against one too many limitations/issues with WebAudio.  Maybe that'll turn into something one day.

@6
It's either going to be Apache or something more permissive than Apache.  As I said I want this to be as close to public domain as possible, but there's a potential advantage from the legal perspective to Apache that i need to check on, w.r.t. being able to pull from some code that Google has released.  There shouldn't be compatibility issues with LGPL.

You have a potentially bigger problem though. In Python, LGPL means not being able to be packaged in any form that's obfuscated to an effective degree, since one of the key provisions of the LGPL license is that the portions of the code under the LGPL need to be swappable with compatible versions (i.e. I need to be able to update Lucia in a game you give me, despite not having the source for said game).  But in Python most effective obfuscation/anti-reverse-engineerin begins at nonstandard bytecodes that other people don't have.  It's possible the modern audiogames community doesn't care about this though, but being as you're raising license compatibility issues this is kinda a big one and why I don't use the LGPL for stuff anymore myself.

    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : defender via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : NicklasMCHD via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : frastlin via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : bgt lover via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : philip_bennefall via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ashleygrobler04 via Audiogames-reflector