Re: Do You Guys Ever Get Rushed to Start in Online Games

@op:
Online games aren't just about playing games. You need social skills. In a way, when you're hosting or administrating a game, you have to be willing to moderate. Not nearly on the scope of moderating a big forum like this, but you do have to be a moderator, and that requires you to be cognizant of the fact that you get all types of players. Some take extra time to write long messages with decent grammar and that period at the end of every message to give the proper ending to a sentence, while others write nearly illegible messages. Some like to wait around to see if players come in. Others just want to play. Some speak English well, others don't speak it at all. And some are just assholes. Of course, the name asshole is entirely subjective, but undoubtedly everyone is going to find their own group of assholes online. But my point here is that you can't moderate all these types by trying to get them to your turf. Especially not on a public server. You're on public turf, so to speak. You have your own section of turf, and can enforce your own rules eg. when you start, how many games you play, whether you do teams or not etc. but by playing on public turf, you are going to be receptive to public opinion, and that includes opinions which aren't necessarily polite. Of course, you have the right and necessity to filter which opinions you consider, and of course you don't have to bow down to every request, but you do need to be conscientious about the wants of the people you're interacting with, and be able to spot patterns so that you will know in the future if you are making popular or unpopular choices. Making unpopular choices and sticking to them because that's just how you roll is going to come back to bite if you aren't careful. It's selfish, and yeah we all need to be a little selfish sometimes, but like I say you have to be careful. The solution is compromise and prioritize. Compromise so that everyone gets a little of what they want, including yourself. And prioritize so you know the things you aren't so picky on, and the ones you are.

I haven't hosted any games on CP yet, and it's for precisely the above reasons that I am afraid to. I don't think I'd be able to handle the different types of players well without getting frustrated like you are. However if things got really annoying for me, I probably would just close the game in a silent fit of irritation and leave it be for a while, and maybe that's what you need to do. By continuing to vent here, you're increasing the possibility of attracting people who would, no doubt, deliberately connect to your server with less of an intention to play and more of an intention to piss you off because they know how to bate you. Judging by the level of frustration I am reading in your words, and in prior posts of your's, I'd say this is a real possibility, but I'm no psychologist so I could be way off the mark, and I hope I am.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dan_Gero via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Jaidon Of the Caribbean via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : BigGun via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dan_Gero via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : pool via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Veljko via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Jaidon Of the Caribbean via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : musicalman via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : musicalman via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : musicalman via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Jaidon Of the Caribbean via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dan_Gero via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Jaidon Of the Caribbean via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : BigGun via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : thetechguy via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : moaddye via Audiogames-reflector