Re: Code Dungeon - A first person hack & slash dungeon crawler

Wow, I really appreciate the amount of feedback! And man the quality of it!

And thanks for the game example suggestions from camlorn @3 and Jaidon of the Carribean @4 (and everyone else!), me and Wiktor have been spending this morning checking out all the games and playing demos where available.

The main takeaway that I'm getting here is that people are not satisfied with the Grid-based cardinal direction movement, and camlorn @3 brings up a great point about incremental head rotation; Being able to face a sound source helps immensely in mentally placing it. So we are completely redesigning movement and rotation to better facilitate that.

I agree that sighted people making a story featuring a blind character who somehow "overcomes" their blindness is a rather cringe narrative, so we're not doing that.

Some background on why we chose the old movement system;
Our original idea for the game was to have every encounter be a duel between the player and their enemy in a confined space. Every step the player took needed to be deliberate; the player should be dodging attacks or flanking the enemy, and we thought that moving on a grid and with 90 degree rotations would facilitate this very deliberate positioning; if the player got hit, they would KNOW it was because they were in a space that was being attacked.

We still want the deliberateness of the combat to come across in the design, but I understand that the current implementation feels clunky and outdated.

The two options I see is either do a top-down implementation similar to Shadow Line, or a first person implementation closer to Swamp and Quake, with freeform movement and mouse rotation.

I think we are going to go with the first person rotation, because I want to be able to do the things that magurp244 describes with their comments @12, namely describing relative positioning using breathing, footsteps, armor clinking and room echo.
And using something like what amerikranien @7 describes with the "whoosh" when close to open hallways, and keeping that sonar implementation in our back pocket in case we need it.

We are beginning that process today of overhauling the game. I'm hoping we'll have a new prototype soon, and I'll post here when we have something testable. I'll be checking back here regularly, but again I really appreciate the feedback!

For those of you wondering on Technical Questions;
Here's a list of tools we're using.
Language:
C#
Game Engine:
Unity

for Audio Organization/Implementation:
Fmod For Unity

for Audio 3d spatialization:
Google Resonance Audio plugin

Keep in mind both Wiktor and me are sighted. I've seen some posts on the Unity Forums that complain about lack of accessibility when using the Unity Editor Interface, but if you want some help or general tips feel free to reach out in my DMs.