Re: Code Dungeon - A first person hack & slash dungeon crawler

Interesting. I'd thought about some sort of dueling, tactical combat simulation in audio that's a step above the usual "block or attack, front, left, or right" system lots of games use. I've never seen a sword fight, but when I read about them, there's circling/sidestepping and such. I assume that there's some benefit to not just facing each other and whacking. Like, if your opponent is left-handed, being further to their left puts you further back in their range so they can't put much force behind a strike. Likewise, having someone in front of you while you're facing their right or left side means they can't hit you but you can still hit them--unless, of course, they've leveled up some amazingly complex side-strike move that you'd only discover when it's too late. smile

So, for a duel system, you might have 5 rough areas in front of the player--far left, left, center, right, far right. Players could sidestep to shift themselves and their opponent in the combat area, maybe pivot to make more drastic shifts at a larger movement/time cost, etc. Attacks and blocks are then strengthened or weakened based on position, right or left-handedness of player and opponent, etc. So you aren't just attacking and blocking sounds from directions, but also trying to maneuver to place your opponent in a position where you are stronger and they aren't. Likewise, when your opponent moves, you're also moving so they don't have an advantage over you. Move beyond far left/right and you're now circling your opponent, meaning they can't attack but you can--obviously not ideal for them.

Doing that on a map may be a bit challenging. Or maybe not. It might be necessary to break out the encounter onto a combat map, or to change the motion controls in combat such that left/right motions take circling into account once you're far enough off to one side. Really, the only way to know how well any of this will work is to knock together a prototype and try it out. I haven't yet, but maybe these concepts might work with your game?