Re: fortnite accessibility petition

What people don't appreciate is this, to use a stupid analogy.

Hearing is crappy AT&T megabit internet that's barely good enough to run Teamtalk.

Sight is Google-quality datacenter internet good enough to power Netflix. streaming to hundreds of customers at a time.

Sighted people get both at the same time, not just one.

We've done really good overall learning to deal with crappy AT&T internet hearing, both for games and otherwise.  But just like you can't shove more data down crappy internet no matter how hard you try, you can't shove more data in through hearing no matter how hard you try.  And all of these games people keep trying to make accessible, they're at the upper limit of what sighted people can handle with their amazing Google datacenter internet sight.

Audiogames are and will always have to be simplified if they're going to be in the same genre as Fortnite.  Some things like Sequence Storm and that genre can be made accessible, SoundRTS is on par by the nature of it (since strategy is slow anyway), sure.  But often when asking sighted people to make their game accessible you're also asking them to change their gameplay or to add what are effectively cheating mechanisms.

Every time I have this conversation, the people who had enough vision to play real videogames get it without me explaining it, and the people who have always been blind start trying to explain to me how I'm wrong.  Since I'm apparently in the business of telling hard truths in this thread, I'll just say now that I bet that's what's about to happen here.  Suffice it to say that modern games simulate down to the level of individual rocks sometimes, and stopped using grids over 10 years ago.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : sightlessgamer via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : rory-games via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : thetechguy via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Donavin . Liebgott via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : marko via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Vazbol via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Liam via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Sam Smith via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : simter via Audiogames-reflector