Re: silver dollar crack

@Dark, while I'm sure we would all like to think that people had the moral fibre not to play a game in protest and/or out of respect for the dev's choice of a copy-protection system the gamer dislikes, the fact is that confronted with a choice to play a pirated version and a clean version that treats you like a turd it's very easy to surrender to the dark side. I appreciate why this happens, and I think it's the dev's responsibility to mitigate it, as much as is humanly possible.

Again, and to be clear: I think we all understand how important it is for the developer to get paid. That is how this thread started, after all. And you're right, I've used cracks for games I've paid for, which gives me absolutely no joy whatsoever but I consider it legit because it's paid software, and in any event devs are starting to migrate away from the worst of these systems. Nevertheless people are ultimately motivated by the games, and their enjoy ment of them, and it's often quite hard to reward the ethical, good conduct that devs do without also rewarding the unethical, bad conduct that they do. You can be really reasonable, conclude that the developer absolutely needs your money and that it's more important that they be fed than that you use software you paid for how you wish, and get totally and completely burned down the road when the same software thwarts your rightful use of it as effectively as it thwarts the pirates. People who know this from experience are a good deal more likely to crack software without remorse for the developer, and serious harm is done. So I think we need to remove the developers' dependence on anti-piracy measures that directly impose restrictions on the player.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : arqmeister via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : fastfinge via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : fastfinge via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Sebby via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : arqmeister via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : gadgetman2227 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : jaybird via Audiogames-reflector